Friday, January 31, 2014

Marinating in God's word... SOAP our way through the bible

My 3 daughters and I have a passion for studying the bible together. It's been a bit hard to find a way to do this that works well for all of us and isn't over any ones head because of the age differences, but we have found a great way to bring us all together to do so. We have even made it so that my 4 year old can enjoy the time with us!
** side note. I don't require any of the kids to do this with me. I had invited them to join me once (totally no pressure at all) and they wanted to keep on going.

The S.O.A.P bible study method:




S.O.A.P Bible Study Method

S: The S stands for Scripture.
What does it say? Underline, mark, or physically write out the scripture verse or verses that stuck out to you in your reading.

O: The O stands for observation 
What do you see in the verses that you are reading? What words stand out to you? What struck you and caught your attention?

A: The A stands for application                                                                Personalize what you have read by asking yourself things like. How does this apply to my life right now? Perhaps it is instruction, encouragement, revelation of a new promise, or corrections for a particular area of your life. Write out how this scripture can apply to you. 
P: This stands for Prayer                                                            This can be as simple as asking God to help you use the scripture, or it may be a greater insight on what He may be revealing to you. 
___________
In practice, how that tends to look here is:
1. We follow the same bible reading plan. (We are using this one). We read from the OT on weekends and the NT on weekdays. 
2. The two older girls and I either read from our own bibles quietly in the same room together, or we read them separately and meet up together at some point in the day or night. We try to do this daily together but some days that doesn't work out. So sometimes I'm doing it solo. Totally cool with me. I never want reading the bible to feel like a chore or obligation for them. 
3. We usually read some background info together, from a study bible or Student bible before we jump in. And may read some of the interspersed questions from the study bible after we've read the selection. It's so wonderful to hear what the bible says to each of my girls. I've learned so much from glorious discussions with them. 
4. My 4 year old really really loves doing bible study. She asks daily to do it. Usually it's the first thing she says each morning after "good morning". :-) The adjustments I've made for her are:   
  • She uses an older bible that I no longer read from. In it she likes to color with colored pencils. Sort of like a highlighting of the words kind of deal. (The older girls and I use colored pencils in our bibles and mark with symbols too). 
  • She's huge into tracing words these days with markers. You can always find her with a sharpie and some written word she's tracing. So branching off that I wrote the name of the bible book we are reading in block letters a few times for her trace over with her favorite metallic sharpie. 
  • I went online and found pictures, and words, some in color, some black and white, relating to the bible book the older girls and I are studying. I save them into one place and print out a sheet for her. She colors anything she wants on it. And then cuts and glues the pictures and words into her own bible journal. 
  • And she takes part in our conversation as we talk about how the scripture spoke to each of us.                                                                                                 
  • She and my son also have bibles geared for younger kids. And both of them like the new bible app by You Version for kids. They have that on their tablets. He's not interested right now in participating with myself and the girls. Totally cool and fine with that. 

Wishing you and your family a lovely time and many blessings!

No comments: