Monday, May 14, 2012

How to Talk so Kids will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk

This is a book by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish. I have linked to a summary which I think does far more justice than I can in going over the wonderful points of this book.

This one is full of great advice for those looking for what on earth to replace traditional parenting methods with.
It gives some great examples and scenarios as well as some questions you can work through on your own or with your partner. Reading some of the examples really made me have an ah-ha moment, especially in the chapter on Freeing Children from Playing Roles.

I especially liked the chapters on Praise and the way there is a right way to praise and a wrong way. The wrong way being saying generic things like "Good job" or "Good boy/girl." I think most parents will really appreciate the alternatives to punishment chapter as well.

The book has a few pages of cartoons in it to demonstrate some of the concepts which really appealed to me. At first glance through the book and seeing those, I felt immediately that this would be along the lines of the type of parent I strive to be.

Here is the summary in PDF form of this book today which I think every parent should print out. It goes through the chapters and gives somewhat of a cliffs notes on each chapter. I would strongly recommend buying the book though as I think it's one every parent should have on their shelf.

Here is a summary for another book called Siblings without Rivalry which is by the same authors.


2 comments:

redkitchen said...

I just got Siblings without Rivalry at Goodwill yesterday. I am looking forward to reading it. I have wishlisted the How to Talk... book at Paperback Swap. Also, I found another good book at Goodwill yesterday that I'm currently reading: The Connected Parent (I just posted about it on my blog). It seems like a book that you'd like as well.

Melissa said...

I have Siblings without Rivalry on my shelf to read at some point soon myself. I just looked up the Connected Parent book and it has some good reviews on Amazon.

Thanks for sharing that title with me!