Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Healthy but tasty sweet treats

Here are some yummy recipes I've made or plan to make in the near future.
I thought I shared in case anyone else is looking for a treat to make that is low sugar, and in some cases no sugar at all.

Homemade granola
I used to use a recipe that called for brown sugar and butter. Today I tried this one at Kitchen Stewardship. Not the soaked version since I didn't have the time for the process.
Her recipe calls for 1 cup of butter (for which I substituted coconut oil) and also a cup of honey. I only had Trader Joes creamy unprocessed honey. So I threw that in. It sort of came up as a happy accident because the granola came out so yummy and sweet. But next time I'd use half the amount of honey because the amount I used kept the bars a bit on the gooey side. Though the kids didn't mind and had it with GMO free greek style honey yogurt as a side with lunch. This would be divine as is with some milk for breakfast (coconut or almond milk are our choices).
Our add in's were diced dried apricots, organic raisins, raw almonds, raw walnuts and raw sunflower seeds.

Healthy sugar free chocolate cake 
This one I haven't made yet but look forward to making for the kids.
In place of the soy milk it calls for I'll use almond or coconut milk and I might use Agave or maple syrup in place of the honey.

Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
For this one, healthy substitutions I'll be using are:
1/2 cup of nut milk of your choice (you can use soy or rice milk too. I don't use soy milk)
1/4 cup of coconut oil in place of the vegetable oil it calls for.
1/2 cup of honey or agave or maple syrup or you can probably add a 1/2 a cup of banana in place of this.

No Sugar added blueberry and banana wheat muffins
This one really needs only to have the vegetable oil changed to either coconut oil or to safflower oil. And I'd imagine you can use any fruit with the banana and add nuts, flax seeds, poppy seeds and sesame seeds if you'd like.

Stewed Prunes
These we had today. I love prunes very much. And since they are a sweet fruit this is a fantastic dessert.
I had them as a side on my lunch plate (I eat the No "S" diet way, which is 3 full plates a day [no snacks, sweets or seconds except on days that start with "S"] so this was on my plate of food for lunch). I put it with a dollop of Non GMO honey greek yogurt. It was so yummy. For someone who loves ice cream or just sweets in general this one fills that spot nicely while being healthy. And definitely a budget friendly item to offer. I only have about two in my family who like prunes so not everyone gave this a try.

No comments: