Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Everyone is an unschooler : )

When I set my mind on something I research the heck out of it. I pick it apart a hundred different ways. I'm nothing if not thorough with my research. Some would say maybe that's the paralegal in me. But it's the way I've always been over the course of my life as far back as I can remember. It's a blazing passion pulling me through what I can about the topic of my focus.  Not because I have to do it. But because I want to. I'm personally involved, emotionally prompted, or quizzically curious. 
This is actually unschooling as I've been finding out. 


Here are a few things that have sparked that passion in me (in no particular order except as they pop in my brain as I'm typing of course):

  • Seeking God 
  • Organ transplants 
  • Not vaccinating 
  • Graduating high school early so I could get on with my life and attend trade school. 
  • Parenting 
  • Pets (Ferrets, specific breed cats and specific breed dogs)
  • The support role of a police wife
  • Going to college and getting my degree
  • Breastfeeding 
  • Attachment parenting
  • Living on a single income in a two income world
  • Co-sleeping
  • Cloth diapering 
  • Homeschooling and homeschooling methods and curriculum
  • Homebirth
  • Non GMO living and Organic foods
  • Hazard free personal care products
  • GMO free pet food
  • Homeopathy
  • Living with a large family in a small space
  • Living on a budget, putting a budget in place 
  • Reading for pleasure.... 


There are so many great books out there, blogs, websites, etc.
Funny enough, unschooling is something we all already know how to do. More likely than not we may just have forgotten or haven't realized that things we feel passion about,  are unschooling examples in our own lives already. It's the "method" that needs the least explanation but the one that inspires us to seek the most clarification.

When you think about it our kids all have already shown us examples of what unschooling is in practice. Walking, talking, self feeding, learning to dress themselves, use the potty, etc. When your child was ready they acquired all those skills.

Here is a snippet taken from the book 101 Reasons I'm an Unschooler by PS Pirro:
Conventional thinking assumes there is a time and a place for learning. Unschoolers know learning happens always and everywhere. 
Conventional thinkers assume children must be forced to learn. Unschoolers know that children are unstoppable learners all on their own. 

4 comments:

Daisy said...

Amen!

I like to say we are eclectic learners for 850 hours out of the year. The other 7,910 hours are spent unschooling.

:-p

Melissa said...

: )

michelle said...

I love this post - it is so true. My 6 yr old didn't get her math workbook done today...yet she built a life-size person out of pattern blocks.
Some days it's about sitting back and letting the kids teach ME. ;-)

Melissa said...

>>Some days it's about sitting back and letting the kids teach ME. ;-)<<

Amen Michelle!