Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Robinson - Transitioning to unschooling



I've redone this post. I've changed the title which used to say, Robinson working for unschoolers. I used to think that the way we did Robinson was unschooling. Now that we are farther into unschooling there is no way I could see doing any curriculum at all, followed loosely or not, and label it unschooling.
Dr. R used a lot of Child led (which is often times how unschooling is thought of) and it was how I thought of it too. Because that's what my kids did, a lot of child led interest pursuit when they were not doing the hour of work I asked of them.  Child led is more hands off, where unschooling is very parent involved. It's the most parent involved way of homeschooling I've encountered in the past 8 years. 


The bulk of the education Dr. Robinson's children obtained using his method, was not while they were seated behind their desks. His children did only 5 hours of school work and the only "formal" thing they did was their math. Their writing was writing anything they wished to write about (he speaks in one place about heartfelt notes he received from his children from their writing time). Their reading was just fantastic books he hand picked for one reason or another, and any additional books they wanted to. (Even though we are not doing Robinson per say any longer, Skylar loves his book list and reads from it because of the great books). Then the rest of their days were spent doing things like taking apart ham radios, exploring their farm and other pursuits of their interest and their science until upper levels was done through their own interests in recreational time. 


Robinson led me to where we are now. Robinson helped me make the transition so much more easily than if I had been using a formal curriculum.

2 comments:

redkitchen said...

I love this post, and I also love how you explain what works for your family. You paint such a clear picture of what you do, and I can see that this method works beautifully for you & your children. Thanks for sharing!

Melissa said...

Awe thanks : )