Monday, February 21, 2011

The new school room and other ramblings : )

The new school room is coming along nicely. Not exactly how I want it but close enough that I feel good seeing the little ones in there writing on the white board or the older girls sitting there doing a craft or a math lesson. We have a formal dining room across from the school room and I'm not really a formal dining room kind of gal. So we have made that into a playroom. Today my brother and I picked up those lead free foam tiles that click together. They were only $21 per box. I was looking for a cushy carpet but for the size I needed it would have been over $300. So that was not an option. The tiles were a great find and the kids helped us piece those together after we arrived at home. It will be great that the little ones have a place to play and run around while the older girls are doing their lessons. I have a smaller round table for the little ones in the school room but I'm thinking of moving that to one of the kids rooms since they have have a bright colorful table in the play area which also lets them write on it with chalk
: ) and can fit all the kids if they wished.
I'll post pictures soon once it's all come together a bit more.

I still have tons of Decklin's hands on play items to pull out of boxes. Hopefully I'll get to that soon.

I went to a great church with my brother on Sunday. The kind of church that makes you so excited to come back again. Loved it and felt so inspired after leaving the service! It was unlike any church I'd ever been to before.

I am getting excited to read a few great books that are coming my way:
-Homeschooling With a Meek and Quiet Spirit by Teri Maxwell
-The Duggars; Twenty and Counting by The Duggars
-Large Family Logistics by Kim Brenneman
-Managers of their Chores by The Maxwells. I had incorporated a system similar to this but not with using their book or guidance and fell flat. I'm hoping the book fills the gaps for me and makes things run smoother here chore wise for the kids. We are a bit off from the move and I think having this will help them get back to a good routine again. At least I'm hopeful it will.

-I had posted about this on the Robinson loop but I think it's worth repeating here. Christian Light Math has excellent flash cards and a great system which has a schedule to teach the kids their math facts. It can be used with with their math or alone to master facts. The girls are doing great with CLE math and the flash cards as well.
Definitely worth a look for those using Robinson and Dr. R's math recommendation of mastering facts.

~Happy Homeschooling~

No comments: