Monday, December 27, 2010

December 2010

We had a nice holiday with my family who was visiting. I love the holidays but for us it almost feels like everyday is a holiday : ). The kids play, enjoy each other, spend time with family. We celebrated Decklin's fourth birthday. We had a little family gathering and he opened his gifts and had cupcakes. Then on the 28th, his actual birthday we took him out to a fancy dinner where he ate lobster bisque and shrimp cocktail and had a huge piece of turtle cheesecake. Santa gave him some school stuff he had asked for so he'll be having some fun once we start up again (he does things as he wishes not directed by me).
On the 3rd we begin our new year. I'm going to be going in a different direction for some things. Of course we'll keep up with Robinson reading and writing but I'm thinking of maybe doing nothing else. Robinson, as I always say, is amazing and I could not imagine not using it.  I'd love to dive more into child led learning in regard to things the kids pursue in their free time, they are making lists of things for me of things they'd like to learn more about on their own. This is also Robinson since his children pursued their own interests as they did no TV. Though we don't do that, we keep it limited.
One thing I'd love is to unschool for math. Math on the Level looks great so I'm in decision mode on that. In the meantime, I've found some books that I'm thinking to order for Skylar (my 9 year old). She loves to read so much that math via reading books that connect in story form might be of benefit to her. So we'll see how that turns out as far as math goes as that's my big concern as far as if I, who am not math minded can do something of this fashion for math. The creator of Life of Fred should have his books for the younger set out soon so I can't wait for that.

Hope everyone had a great holiday!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I stumbled upon your blog while researching (over and over and over) the RC. Thank you so much for your comments. I will keep your blog on my reading list.

Melissa said...

Thanks Rebecca : ) I appreciate that.