Friday, July 23, 2010

Weight Loss

I had been doing the No S diet for quite a few months. Not really a diet just an eating plan. While I was not gaining weight I was not losing either so I began to look for something else.

I've been reading a book by Debra Waterhouse, M.P.H., R.D called Outsmarting the Female Fat cell. What a fantastic book! Not a diet book but a really great walk through of why we ladies tend to hold on to weight gain and guidance on helping to turn off our fat cell as she calls it. I began on 7/15 opting to add in her smaller meals to the first two weeks. I have already noticed a difference in how I feel overall.

Key points:
-Do not diet. Every time a woman diets she gains more weight.
-Eat only when hungry. Do not eat beyond the feeling of being comfortable. Overeating goes right to our fat cells.
-Eat smaller meals spaced out through out the day verses 3 large meals. She says to "eat like a child" they burn energy, get hungry and snack.
-Eat during the first 12 hours of your day. At night we need less calories, this is specifically geared at any of those of us who sofa snack at night watching TV. So anything we eat at night when not truly hungry, feeds our lovely fat cells : (.
-She eases you into changes in week stages. Such as eating, for those who have been dieting, she says eat in weeks 1 and 2. And in the first two weeks she asks that you add in about 10 - 15 minutes of aerobic exercise.
-Weeks 3 - 4 you'll increase your exercise time to 20 minutes each session.
-Weeks 5 - 6 begin eating smaller meals, what was once 3 meals now becomes 5.
-She has more weeks broken down, at some point (I think it's toward the end of the book) she talks about trying to foods lower in fat for some of your meals but you can eat that cookie or cheesecake for dessert. And she just gives a general guideline to watch for not a strict you must not eat such and such. We don't use Margarine here due to the GMO's in them and prefer butter. I can still eat butter as long as I'm not loading it on. She does not tell you any foods are off limits.

I'm keeping a food diary in a spiral bound notebook (I picked up a bunch at the Walmart back to school sale for 10 cents each).
I was especially impressed with her detailed information of how we women tend to gain fat and how we are made up that way hormonally verses how men are made up. She has a great chapter on this that I think any women would read and say "wow" that makes so much sense. She has a nice whit to her and keeps the book enjoyable, makes it feel like an old friend with a nice sense of humor is talking to you from her own experiences.

If anyone picks up this book I'd love to hear your thoughts, feel free to comment or drop me an email.

Happy Eating!

No comments: