Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Studies update.....

Reading:
Skylar is doing just fantastic on her reading. She is flying through the first set of Bob books. I know not everyone who reads about our school days is familiar with bob books. They are a step-by-step, book-by-book program to guide the child gently through the early stages of reading. Each level addresses a stage in a child's reading development. There are 5 sets in all (12 books in each set). Skylar is working her way through set one which introduces the alphabet (except Q) with very basic three-letter words and short vowels. There are 12 books in each set. She has just completed book 7. (www.bobbooks.com)

I still can't believe I, little old me helped her gain this skill. Wow I'm still floating on cloud nine from this LOL.

Drawing:
This week both the girls have enjoyed using Ed Emberly's Drawing Book of Animals. I have to say even I got in on this drawing fun and we all made some very cool animals. Both the girls did such neat animals but I was so impressed that Summer was able to follow along with the book to draw her own creations. I have to say, thumbs up on this book!!!

Handwriting: (www.hwtears.com)
Summer has been enjoying lots of time playing with the hands on letter pieces that are part of the handwriting without tears program. What a neat way to really learn the letters, by building them and holding them. So I jumped on her interest and ordered her more of their materials to do during her "school time". I got her the Get set for school book, the slate chalk board and the roll a dough letters (playdough letters basically). She can't wait for UPS to arrive LOL.

Skylar is using some Handwriting without tears also. She's working in their K level book now but I went ahead and ordered her the 1st grade book, the new chalk board that's lined and a draw and write journal (she loves to work in her journal). So we are all waiting for UPS to arrive so we can pull out our new fun stuff : )

Math:
Skylar is doing great in math with both programs she's using. "Math is fun", is something she says everyday. It's amazing that I am learning new ways to do math by doing it with her. Very cool stuff!

No comments: